All Tara ever wanted was to be a mermaid.
So she takes a year off between high school and college to don a fake tail and tour aquariums across the country in a professional mermaid troupe.
Everything’s great until she meets a gorgeous real-life merman named Finn. Suddenly, what she thought was a dream turns out to be a nightmare — she’s turning into a mermaid herself. For real.
Yet when she returns to the sea to seek out Finn and reverse her transformation, she finds herself in the middle of an impending war between the land and sea. Tara may have always wanted to be a mermaid, but now it’s sink or swim. In order to survive, she has to learn how to be one, too.
About the Author:
Sci-fi junkie, video game nerd, and wannabe manga artist Erin Hayes writes a lot of things. Sometimes she writes books, like the fantasy mystery novel Death is but a Dream, the sci-fi middle grade book Jacob Smith is Incredibly Average, and the Her Wolf paranormal series.
She works as an advertising copywriter during the day, and she moonlights as an author. She has lived in New Zealand, Texas, and now in Birmingham, Alabama with her husband, cat, and a growing collection of geek paraphernalia.
You can reach her at firstname.lastname@example.org and she'll be happy to chat. Especially if you want to debate Star Wars.
1. Below is a list of songs that I listened to while writing How to be a Mermaid. Each of these songs helped to get me into the right mindset in order to pretend that I was a mermaid!
2. Go – Grimes featuring Blood Diamonds
3. Can’t Hold Us – Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
4. Never Let Me Go – Florence and the Machine
5. What the Water Gave Me – Florence and the Machine
6. Start a Riot – Jetta
7. Believe – Mumford and Sons
8. I Will Wait – Mumford and Sons
9. Dirty Paws – Of Monsters and Men
10. Anything Could Happen – Ellie Goulding
11. Part of Your World – Jodi Benson from The Little Mermaid ß No mermaid soundtrack would be complete without that song!